Friday, November 13, 2009

Week two....complete!!

First of all....I must send a shout out to my wonderful husband. He really stepped up for me this week and helped make things go as smoothly as possible-- even though I feel my life is getting more chaotic by the minute. He packed my lunches, made dinner, gassed up my car among many other things. THANK YOU!!! This week in class, we were still mostly in the classroom tackling textbooks to learn measurement conversions (that pesky metric system is returning from childhood days!), ingredient rules, and nutrition basics. We did get into the lab though and made shortbread cookies, fondant for the wedding cake competition this week, pecan brittle, and a few other basic recipes. I need to start thinking about where I will be doing my required 120 hours of externship. Today I will be going by a local bake shop to see if I can do some of my hours there. Otherwise, we were given a 6 page list of places to consider. I really want to work in a high end type of bakery with breads and fine French pastries so I will have to put my thinking cap on and dig around for some options. An exciting, exhausting and fantastic week all rolled in one. Tomorrow, there is a wedding cake competition at one of the other culinary schools in town so I am going to try to stop by and check it out. Hopefully will have pictures to post!

No comments:

Post a Comment