Thursday, December 31, 2009

My Own First Attempt at Chocolates

I adore chocolate.....all things chocolate! I bought a box of molds off Craig's List and wanted to play with them so started with a fairly easy recipe for chocolate truffles but then adapted it a bit to make the chocolate more moldable. I used olive oil to make the chocolate a more fluid consistency to pipe into the molds. The result was amazing.....especially for my first attempt at this. I had seen a few recipes that used olive oil with chocolate but was skeptical as it seems an odd combination. However, it does make the chocolate more pliable and doesn't leave any sort of aftertaste. It seemed to cut the extreme sweetness that truffles can sometimes have as well. My husband loved them and so these will go on the "success/make again" list for the future!





Chocolate Truffles

(Adapted from Helen of Tartelette)
8 1/4 oz (250gr) bittersweet dark chocolate (chopped, broken, or chips)
1 stick (115gr) unsalted butter, at room temperature
2 large egg yolks
1 cup (125gr) powdered sugar, unsifted
2 tablespoons olive oil
Melt the chocolate in a large bowl set over a pot of simmering water (make sure that the bowl fits snuggly over the pot so that very little steam escapes). Stir occasionaly.

Remove from the heat and add the butter, one tablespoon at a time. Stir until completely incorporated. Add the egg yolks and powdered sugar whisking until the batter is smooth. Add olive oil. Return to double boiler until super smooth consistency. Pipe into moulds.

Refrigerate until firm, about 2 hours.
(I did add finely ground toasted hazelnuts to the mix that I had left over from another recipe)

1 comment: